Here are some steps to be closer to Allah.
1. Start off each day with ‘adhkaar al-istiyqaadh’ (waking up Supplications), thanking Allah for waking up in good shape.
2. Put Allah first in your life.
3. Broaden your horizons – learn 5 new verses from the Quran every day, travel to pray far in the mosque to brighten your day,take up a booklet having supplications and read them.
4. Pray Salat Al-Dhuhaa (after sunrise).
5. If someone says something mean to you, just shrug it off and dismiss it in a friendly, laidback manner, and pray that Allah shall forgive them.
6. When you get angry, remember Allah, and how short and worthless life is to waste in being Angry.
7. Remember that you can never have too many friends, but you can have few quality friends that help you fulfill the purpose of your creation (i.e. live for Allah).
8. When you’re happy, try to share your happiness with others. Thank Allah for that, and pray its continuation.
9. When something bad or embarrassing happens to you, just think that it could always be worse, remember the reward of patience, and thank Allah that it’s not worse than it is.
10. Do something extra of goodness once in a while, like feeding a poor person, or caressing an orphan’s head.
11. Never stop believing that you can win Allah’s love and thus work For it. Then you can win the love of Allah’s slaves.
12. Spend some time thinking of Allah’s amazing creation.
May Allah SWT accepts all our good deeds . Amin, Insya-Allah.